Breaking News

Hanif Kureishi: ‘Racism makes people mad – it’s necessary to deal with this in fiction’

The writer on Freudian dreams, Tom Sawyer, and what ER Braithwaite taught him about race

My earliest reading memory
I can remember lying on my parents’ bed and reading a book all the way through for the first time. Whether it was Biggles, Bunter or something by Enid Blyton, I was hooked. I began going to the library every day, and have barely been able to go an hour since without passing my eyes over some sentence or another. Reading has become a habit, but it has never stopped being a pleasure.

My favourite book growing up
My father had an excellent library of political and philosophical works, which was where I received my education, insofar as I have any. But it was Tom Sawyer that captivated me from its first brilliant page. Twain’s energetic, haphazard story of an uncontrollable urchin and his various scrapes and adventures helped prompt my first novel, The Buddha of Suburbia.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/CiLRArV

No comments