Breaking News

I’m stuck on the zero-hours job treadmill. Here’s why Labour’s reforms won’t help workers like me | Rose Atkinson

Having no rights or stability wrecks your mental and physical health. The employment rights bill isn’t enough to change that

My working life has been full of insecurity and precarity. I’m 34 now and I wasn’t even paid minimum wage until I was over 25. Of the many, many jobs I’ve worked, I’ve been on a zero-hours contract on all but two occasions.

I’ve been trying to get into the fashion world for nine years. I graduated in 2015 with a degree in tailoring, which I thought would give me a massive scope of work I could do. But there aren’t any graduate jobs – there’s nothing.

Rose Atkinson is a creative pattern cutter. She is currently unemployed

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/qkJa6wf

No comments