Breaking News

A man on a train thought I was a terrorist. I thought he was racist. Learn from how we became friends | Ravi Holy

In a polarised world, few people challenge their assumptions. My encounter shows why humility and empathy still matter

It’s a question I’ve asked many times on train journeys. “Excuse me, mate, would you mind keeping an eye on my stuff while I pop to the loo, please?” It’s normally met with a friendly “sure”. This time I was already turning to go when my fellow traveller, the upper-middle-class white man in a pinstripe suit, said: “Actually, I’m not really comfortable with that …”

There is a contract in polite society: usually, if asked nicely, we do things for each other. It is a shock when that breaks down.

Ravi Holy is the vicar of Wye in Kent, and a standup comedian

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/P0tO6oh

No comments