Breaking News

Experience: I’ve been delivering milk for 50 years – but I don’t drink it

I got my own round at 17, as soon as I passed my driving test, and have stayed so long because I really enjoy it

I can’t drink cow’s milk. I don’t like the taste and it doesn’t agree with me. I used to take a wee drop of cow’s milk in tea, but over the past few years I’ve gone off it completely. I don’t drink any milk now, but I love butter and I’m starting to like cheese.

I started working as a milk girl when I was 12, for Dad’s friend, who had a round near where I still live, in Ladybank, a village in Fife. There were three or four of us, aged between 12 and 16, who’d jump off the van to deliver the milk in bottles in the morning before school and on weekends. I worked for him until I was 15. There was neither plastic nor health and safety in those days. I’d be picked up with a few other kids at 3am, then Dad collected me at 7am, in time to get ready for school. Every door took milk and I loved delivering it.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/bcLB5ni

No comments