Breaking News

Disdain, decay and a half-dead eel: why Withnail & I explains so much of Tory Britain | Max Wallis

In straitened times, debauchery can seem the antidote to hard reality. Celebrate a classic film that shows how it’s done

can

I was 17. It was July and it was boiling. Sweat made a snail-like progress down my neck – but I didn’t care. My swishy, three-quarter-length coat was half my personality. They would have had to surgically remove it from me. I was dressed for action. The particular action I wanted was what I had seen on a shady DVD version of Withnail & I a few months earlier. I wanted booze and drugs, and to cause outrage in provincial tearooms. In fact, I just looked like a dick, and wouldn’t have known weed from oregano. Still, the film left an imprint like a branding iron.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/SlFJzWb

No comments