Breaking News

As an American in Paris, I love Emily’s vinegary take on the city of light | Caitlin Raux Gunther

In the second Netflix series, Emily shows a certain pluckiness, resilience even, that I sometimes wish I possessed

With its second season streaming on Netflix, viewers are hate-bingeing Emily in Paris all over again. Shots have been fired at Emily’s character (basic! backstabber! typical egocentric American!) and the inauthentic representation of the city she inhabits.

As a proud watcher of the series, not to mention an American living in Paris, I admire Emily’s shamelessness, as she unself-consciously snaps selfies and slaughters the French language. Don’t get me wrong, my French is pas mal de tout but things get tricky when even a single word eludes me. Recently, I sat in the back of a Montmartre pharmacy waiting to get my Covid-19 booster shot. I resorted to a charades-style gesture, causing a chuckle. While the jab went in I took a deep breath and made a mental note: look up the word for “faint”.

Caitlin Raux Gunther is a freelance American writer based in Paris

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/3ESoRNL

No comments