Breaking News

Two years into the pandemic, I’ve learned how to make a virtue of uncertainty | Chibundu Onuzo

December in Lagos should have been the highlight of my year. But when plans were cancelled I turned to a new trait: resilience

I planned to be in Lagos this Christmas. The season is called Detty December (as in “dirty”), and it’s a whirlwind of weddings, parties and concerts that go on till the early hours of the morning. The dress code is “slay queen” – dress to slay – and there’s only one rule: enjoyment. I booked my flight months in advance to avoid the price hikes that happen close to Christmas. I readied my outfits. I packed my sunscreen. And then, as of 7 December, the UK government put Nigeria on the red list. I was scheduled to fly the day before.

I sought counsel. My bolder friends encouraged me to travel because the rules might change before my return flight. My more cautious friends advised that I should only risk it if, in the event that the travel ban was not lifted, I was ready to pay £2,120 for hotel quarantine. I was not ready to pay £2,120. I postponed my trip.

Chibundu Onuzo is a Nigerian novelist living in London.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/32GtUU0

No comments