Breaking News

I’m sick of society telling women we must protect ourselves from violent men | Tayo Bero

I don’t want to learn how to protect my drink in a club, or buy a contraption to make sure my door stays locked. I want to live in a world where women like Miya Marcano don’t live in fear

Here we go again. Every time a woman is a victim of male violence, there is a major public discussion on how they can “protect” themselves.

Last week, a British police commissioner said that Sarah Everard, an English woman killed in March by a police officer, “never should have submitted” to the false arrest that led to her rape and murder. “Women, first of all, need to be streetwise about when they can be arrested and when they can’t be arrested,” the commissioner said. Everard’s killer, Wayne Couzens, had falsely arrested her for supposedly violating London’s Covid regulations.

Tayo Bero is a freelance journalist

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/2YuOXqL

No comments