Breaking News

'I figured I'd give it a year': Arthur Sulzberger Jr on how the New York Times turned around

Against the odds, a unique American institution has thrived. Its chairman is retiring but the paper will stay in the family

Where does the New York Times reside in the subconscious of news hounds across America? Paul Rudnick wrote this answer for a New York City mother played by Bette Middler in Coastal Elites on HBO this year:

I love the Times. I feel like it’s my child, or my parent. Do you know what the Times means to a liberal Jewish woman like me? On the census, when it asks for religion, I don’t put Jewish. I put the New York Times. Which I have delivered. The real Times. The newsprint Times. I know I’m old-fashioned, but reading the Times online is like having sex with a robot. I mean, it’s cleaner and it’s faster but you can tell the difference. OK, I’ll just say it. The New York Times online is the New York Times for the gentiles.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/3nBx5C2

No comments