Breaking News

Tim Dowling: It’s not even Christmas yet, and I’ve had turkey three times

Fake Christmas at my father-in-law’s is good practice for whatever horrors the real thing has in store

It’s the time of year when people suffer from Festive Stress, but I am already experiencing symptoms of its aftermath, Post-Festivity Stress Disorder.

For us, the holiday season begins with Fake Thanksgiving – lunch with my wife’s American relatives on the weekend before Thanksgiving, which falls on an ordinary British Thursday and is therefore unsuitable for celebrating. This year, I followed it up with Real Thanksgiving, flying to the US three days later. Next comes Fake Christmas, hosted annually by my father-in-law some weeks before the 25th, when he is always in Cornwall. Let’s put it this way: I’m on my third turkey, and the Christmas tree decorations are still in the attic.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/2SMLg7m

No comments