Breaking News

I have received death threats, and I blame the vitriol of the pro-Brexit media | Dominic Grieve

I worry that rational debate about leaving the European Union is becoming impossible in this atmosphere of crisis and confrontation

• Dominic Grieve is a Conservative MP and former attorney general

A decision as a backbencher to vote against one’s party ought not to be taken lightly. Political parties depend for existence and success, not so much on the holding of identical views, as on a shared philosophy and ties of loyalty and respect between members. So there are good reasons to try to find compromises when differences emerge on a specific matter. Last week, however, I voted against my party on a national issue for the first time in my 20 years in parliament. I felt I had no option, as the attempts I had made to get the matter resolved by compromise had failed. I also considered that the matter was far too important to be ignored.

It is troubling that much of the controversy brought in allegations of an intention to sabotage Brexit

Continue reading...

from The Guardian http://ift.tt/2CxFhew

No comments