Breaking News

What makes a Man Booker novel? Six shortlisted authors share their secrets

Ahead of the announcement of the 2017 prize next week, the stories behind the stories

Usually the material of a novel comes to me before I have a form in mind. But with 4321, for the first time in my writing life, the idea of the form came first – the idea that I could write about someone’s life, splintered into four versions. This notion was so compelling to me that I immediately started thinking how I might go about it. The story thrust itself on me. This boy, this Archie Ferguson – each of whose four incarnations follows a different path within the book – seemed there already, waiting to be found. Every day I would go to my work table and the story would be there for me, as if it were hovering just above my desk. All I had to do was reach out and grab it, and put it on the page.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian http://ift.tt/2zmpIWo

No comments