Breaking News

Here's what I want to tell other students about Tourette syndrome

Interrupting lectures with my vocal tics would be less embarrassing if my classmates were more aware of the condition

Fitting in at university can be hard, but for students with Tourette syndrome, you can throw another dozen worries into the mix.

Tourettes is a neurological condition characterised by motor and vocal “tics”; involuntary actions such as coughs, twitches and fully articulated phrases. Most people identify Tourettes with compulsive swearing (coprolalia), but this only affects around one in 10 sufferers. My own Tourettes covers a spectrum of tics: I sometimes squeak, lash out with my arms, twitch my nose – and everything in between.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian http://ift.tt/2yuheOI

No comments